I decided to create a free guide that will help others to connect their laptops to Eduroam by themselves. And in this article today, I am going to share with you everything you need to know.
How to Connect Laptop to Eduroam Wifi
1. Open the CONTROL PANEL app on your laptop. Then from NETWORK AND INTERNET tab, select “Network and Sharing Centre”. The screenshots used throughout this guide is for Windows 10 but I know Windows 7 also has a similar interface.
2. Select “Set up a new connection or network”.
3. From the popup menu that appears, select “Manually Connect to a Wireless Network” and click next.
4. Now you will need to add information of the wireless network you want to add. In our case is eduroam (in lower case). Choose the security type as WPA2-Enterprise and click next.
5. Click on Change Connection Settings.
6. A Dialogue Box like the one shown below will appear. Do not change anything here. Click on “Security” tab.
7. From the Security tab, click Settings. It will take you to a dialogue box where you can modify the settings of the Protected EAP Properties. Untick the checkbox which says ‘Verify the server’s identity by validating the certificate’.
8. Click “Configure”.
9. Under EAP MSCHAPv2 properties, untick the checkbox as shown below. Then click OK.
10. Click OK to close this page too:
11. Click on Advanced Settings.
12. You will get to see two tabs. One is 802.1X and the other one is 802.11. Click the second one, which is 802.11. Untick the checkbox to disable the Pairwise Master Key (PMK).
13. Return back to 802.1X settings tab. TICK‘Specify Authentication Mode’ and select type as ‘User Authentication’.
14. Click Save Credentials and it will take you to a new window. Now enter the username and password sent to your corporate email and click OK.
15. You are done! Click OK/Close to close all the open dialogue boxes.
The next time you are in area where there is an Eduroam Wi-Fi, your computer will connect automatically.